This is another Nickel Quilt using fabrics from my stash. I’ve had some of these fabrics for YEARS and I am so trying to use them all up. They are so outdated, but I promised myself I’d use up these old yucky fabrics before I bought more fabric. I can’t wait to add to my stash and buy some of the lovely new fabric lines …
I’ve made several quilts from Pat Speth’s Nickel Quilt books, but I must say this one was quite the challenge. It was my problem child! The technique was not difficult, but cutting & sewing all those 2.5” squares and half-square triangles was time consuming … not to mention that I had to be careful when sewing the blocks together (yes, Mr. Seam Ripper was never too far away).
Of course, I was in a hurry to finish … too bad I made a mistake when I laid out the design and didn’t notice until after I had sewn several rows. Oh, no! Had to “unsew” everything then lay it out right, and then sew it all up again. I was fed up! So I put it away for a few weeks and finally, finally finished it up this morning. I machine-quilted it myself with an all-over meander/loopy design. It still needs binding, but I’ll do that over the weekend. And, I used a thrift-store twin sheet for the backing … it was like-new and it worked out pretty good!
In spite of everything, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I’m linking up to Amy's fun Sew and Tell Fridays. Amy has some very cute bags that she made and don’t forget to check out what everyone else has done.