Remember this quilt top that I blogged about here? Well, I finally finished it, and I think I’m lovin’ it!
I made this quilt from a stash of Christmas fabrics that I’ve had for a few years. I cut up the fabrics into 5-inch squares, found a pattern that I liked, and put it all together into a baggie as a kit. Last year, I pulled out the kit and put the blocks together; but I wasn’t thrilled with the color combo … the background just didn’t seem right … and I put it aside to work on other projects.
Well, 2010 being the year to finish those UFOs, I tackled this project and finally finished it! But, even when I completed the top, I still wasn’t thrilled with it … it just didn’t sing to me. I struggled with the borders, and then finally decided, the heck with it, I’ll just make it borderless.
But now that it’s finished? It sings loud and proud! I quilted it with an allover heart and loopy design (a nice change over meandering); and the backing is an angel fabric that my BFF found at a garage sale and gave to me for my kids’ quilts. The quilt measures 47 x 60 inches.
I’m donating it to Project Linus; and I think the angels are perfect … and so is this cute fabric with the puppy in a stocking.
Why so many nickel quilts? A few years back, I decided I needed to tame my fabric stash and had this “brilliant” idea to make kits. I went through my extensive stash and collection of quilting books and magazines, and started putting fabrics and patterns together. I then placed these projects into baggies.
During this time, I also cut up much of my yardage into smaller cuts. If I had a yard, I cut it into a 1/2 yard and 2 FQs. If I had 2 yards, I would keep one yard intact. Sometimes I would cut a 1/2 yard into 5-inch squares, which means I ended up with tons of nickel squares. And I’m still working my way through these kits!
UPDATE: Am linking this to the following … please be sure to visit these blogs for more Friday Finishes: