Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wednesday Weigh-In: Week #1

Wednesday Weigh In

Lost 1.5 lbs this week!!  Woohoo!  Don’t know how that happened cuz I was not a good girl.  I didn’t get out to walk as I’d planned and I didn’t really change my diet by much, but I guess even little changes help.  I cut out the late night snacks and started eating more fish and veggies for dinner.

I’ve never been a physically active person and have struggled with my weight since I was in high school, although I was never *fat*.  Back then, I could lose it just as quickly.  But, you all know, when you hit 30, the metabolism slows down and it takes more activity to lose the weight and not gain it … that’s when most of us tend to get chunky.

For the past 23-25 years, I mostly sat behind a desk for 8-10 hours at work; and when I wasn’t behind the desk, I was behind the wheel.  Half of my work day was spent in a city vehicle.  Then I’d commute 4 hours to and from work every day … more sitting.  Of course, when I got home, what would I do?  Either sit at my computer or sewing machine.  It’s no wonder I put on so much weight!

Quilting is such a wonderful and creative hobby.  It just gives me such a lift and makes me feel happy!   But it’s also very sedentary … I can spend hours (if not days) sitting at my sewing machine.  Good for the heart and soul, but not too good for the body.

Way back in January 2000, I went to my first Road to California Quilt Show.  An announcement came over the loudspeaker from an emotional exhibitor who wanted to pay tribute to Doreen Speckmann.  I had no idea at that time who she was, but I do remember very well what the speaker said.  She pleaded with all of us *quilters* to take care of ourselves and make sure we get plenty of exercise … it’s too easy for us to sit at our sewing machine all day and forget how important exercise is to our health.

Doreen Speckmann passed away suddenly on September 18, 1999 in Ireland, while leading a quilting tour.  I believe she suffered a heart attack or stroke, and collapsed while at a social event on the cruise.  She was only 48 and far too young for something like this to happen.

So with this in mind, I will get off my butt and go take a walk …

2 comments:

  1. Change is so very difficult. You seem to be very motivated and I am cheering for you because I know what a daunting task it is. Keep on Walkin"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, I loved reading this post! I learned about you and your life and how you got here. You must consider being spotlighted because you have written a lot about what you would say. I will send you the questions and you can answer them when you can and then I will put you on the list for an upcoming week. Steph

    ReplyDelete