Thrift Thursday: Vintage Churn Dash Quilt Top & Snail Trail Quilt


Aside from quilting, one of the things I enjoy doing is sourcing for my eBay business.  I found this vintage quilt top on one of my sourcing trips to the Goodwill outlet.


It's obviously damaged and very poorly constructed, but I just couldn't leave it behind.  It cost about $2 so I brought it home.



I'm guessing it's from the 1950s and was machine pieced, but the seams are huge and there are puckers throughout.  Obviously, pieces were cut by hand without the benefit of the tools we have today.


Who was the maker?  Was she elderly who struggled with the piecing?  Or was she a young girl just learning how to quilt?  They obviously used whatever scraps they had one hand.


And, what is the story with the burnt hole?  Was it caused by a cigarette?  Or was it burned by an iron?  Oh, the stories this quilt top could tell if it could only speak!




I found this small vintage Snail Trail quilt on another sourcing trip to the thrift store outlet.  


It is also obviously damaged but it didn't cost more than $2. I think it's machine-pieced but it is hand quilted. Someone put some effort into making this cutie so I had to bring it home.


I didn't make an effort to remove the stain lest I damage it any more.


 I just fold it on a chair and you can't even see the stain.


It always makes me sad to see these precious textiles end up at the thrift store, or worst, the outlet clearance center, even if they are damaged.  Someone lovingly made these quilts and someone else didn't appreciate it enough to care for and keep it.  That's okay because I'm here to rescue and give them a new life.

Remember, the best things in life are quilted!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops