Friday, August 27, 2010

Sew & Tell Friday #15: Patriotic Log Cabin Quilt Top

DSC01570

Hallelujah! My “quilt of errors” is FINALLY finished!  Well, at least the top is finished … I am so happy to finally get it done.  I’m also happy to report that I used up all my patriotic strips/scraps on this top.  Read about my progress here.

DSC01566

I really like the border with the delectable mountain blocks.  This was my first time making the block and had to improvise because I didn’t really have a pattern.  The blocks were not so easy to make and are definitely not perfect.

DSC01569

The top is much bigger than I anticipated, finishing at 85” square.  I’m sure this will nicely cover a queen-size bed. Can you believe I was originally going to make it with 12 blocks?!  This is so big that I had to move the furniture out of the way just to take a picture.

Anyway, making this quilt top was definitely a learning experience.  And, even though there was plenty of frustration, I’m happy with the outcome and am planning to make another one ~ some day ~ but with different fabrics.  Not sure when this top will be quilted, so for now it’s in my “To Be Quilted” pile.


Am linking up to the following.  Please be sure to visit for more great finishes:

 


scrap happy chal

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out lovely! I still love the center block! It adds character and the border is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love the Delectable Mountains border blocks. They're perfect for the log cabin quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Gorgeous quilt top. Looks like you put a lot of love and time into creating it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic work! I love the Delectable Mountains. Are they done by doing a half square triangle block and then cutting it up and sewing it back into the DM block? Just wondering. I have made something like that, but now I can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fantastic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowsers!!! There are a lot of pieces in that quilt! Great design, and a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the setting on your scrappy patriotic log cabin! Great border.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is beautiful and intricate. great finish

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a perfect quilt! The choices you've made make it truly a one of a kind original. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is beautiful! And it looks like a tonne of work went into it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what an impressive quilt, really stunning, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hard work on this definitely paid off--it's gorgeous! I just love that delectable mountains border.

    ReplyDelete