WIP String Quilt Challenge

 String Quilt Blocks
I’m finally getting caught up on my string quilt blocks.  As I previously posted, I already had two 4-patch blocks made up: 

DSC00744
Each string patch measures 6 inches, and each block measures 11-1/2 inches (unfinished).  I’ve been saving up “used” dryer sheets for months and have saved up a binful.  Should have enough for a couple of string quilts!


DSC00746

I’m going to make the quilt with 5 rows of 4 blocks each, so I’ll need to make 80 string patches.  I first had to iron each of the dryer sheets (argh!) so they would lay flat before I cut them:

DSC00747

The standard size for each dryer sheet is 6-1/2” x 9”.  So I just layered 6-8 sheets and cut the 9” side down to 6-1/2”.  Each sheet is now 6-1/2” square: 

DSC00748

So far I’ve made an additional 20 patches.  These are so much fun to make … and easy!  No seams to match, no tiny pieces to patch … just a straight stitch to zip through the sewing machine while I watch TV. 
 DSC00787

I love using the dryer sheets.  Not only are the sheets lightweight but they also smell good.  They don’t need to be torn out like paper, and I’m recycling, which is good for the environment.

I still need to make 58 more patches!  Maybe I can make a bigger dent in my stash of novelty print strings:
DSC00789 4220205662_f83ffb7d67_m

Until next time … keep on quilting!

Comments

  1. What a fantastic idea to use dryer sheets! I have never heard of that - I have been buying muslin for the foundation of my string blocks but I will definitely be using your idea for my next string project, thanks for a great tip! Your blocks are so cute - love all your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used dryer sheets before. I'm so new to this that I just sew my strings together. Maybe I'll try the sheets if I remember to collect them. Love what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI - I've used the dryer sheets as interfacing but not as a foundation. Didn't work so hot. Great idea - that would work slick! Can you tell me if there is a difference between "string" quilts and "strip" quilts? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Chris, thanks for stopping by. String quilts are made from strips that are leftover from other projects. They're called "strings" because they are sometimes too narrow to use in a strip quilt ... some strips are as narrow as 1" to 1.25" ... so they are called strings. Hope this answers your question.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops