Weekly Finish #5 Tillie’s Treasures

 DSC00889

This is another Nickel Quilt using fabrics from my stash.  I’ve had some of these fabrics for YEARS and I am so trying to use them all up.  They are so outdated, but I promised myself I’d use up these old fabrics before I bought more fabric.  I can’t wait to add to my stash and buy some of the lovely new fabric lines …
 DSC00890

I’ve made several quilts from Pat Speth’s Nickel Quilt books, but I must say this one was quite the challenge.  It was my problem child!  The technique was not difficult, but cutting and sewing all those 2.5” squares and half-square triangles was time-consuming…not to mention that I had to be careful when sewing the blocks together (yes, Mr. Seam Ripper was never too far away). 

Of course, I was in a hurry to finish … too bad I made a mistake when I laid out the design and didn’t notice until after I had sewn several rows.  Oh, no!  I had to “unsew” everything then lay it out the right way; and then sew it all up again.  I was fed up!  

So I put it away for a few weeks and finally, finally finished it this morning.  I machine-quilted it myself with an all-over meander/loopy design.  It still needs binding, but I’ll do that over the weekend.  And, I used a thrift-store twin sheet for the backing … it was like-new and it worked out pretty well!
 DSC00891

In spite of everything, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I’m linking up to Amy's fun Sew and Tell Fridays.  Amy has some very cute bags that she made.  And don’t forget to check out what everyone else has done.

Comments

  1. Really like the quilt top ou made and love the idea of using up what you have before buying more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has got to be one satisfying finish for you. Some of my less popular fabrics I have been stitching together to make pieced backs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilt! You did an awesome job. I love it. I just bought "Nickel Quilts" this week. So many awesome stashbusting patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt, and great restraint on not buying more fabric. I wish that I were as good!
    Blessings,
    KT

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt is absolutely lovely! Even though they are not new fabrics, the result is just WOW! I love the design and the finished quilt is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! great way to use up your stash!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. there is nothing yucky or outdated about this quilt....it looks so beautiful and scrappy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that looks like a lot of work. It doesn't look outdated at all, it looks awesome. I guess the small pieces are pretty forgiving that way. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is beautiful! The small pieces really translate only the color not the pattern of the fabric so I tihnk its a great use for your older stash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You win most patient sewer of the Friday Finishes this week. The quilt is worth every seam taken out, every row rerowed and the back is just too pretty!

    Congratulations on such a beautiful Friday finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Outdated fabrics or not, I like it! And that sheet/backing is TDF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful finish. Her book is so great. I know how you feel about "old" fabric--I have plenty. And the new stuff is so cute. But it's only old to its owner, and you have done a great job on this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sure doesn't look like it has any "outdated" fabric when it is put together like this. It's a really fabulous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a really pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the dark and light play! These may look traditional when compared to Amy Butler, but they look fabulous and not at all outdated together. I wish had the patience for these triangles. I am glad you finished it. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rita- your quilt is absolutely beautiful. All the delicious fabrics.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! that looks like a lot of work! Great job. Have fun with the binding, it's my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your quilt! Scrappy quilts are so great, when you put all those fabrics together there is no ugly fabric in sight. Sorry about all the seam ripping you have to do, I hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Your quilt is gorgeous!
    Sincerely ~ Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally impressed! With the quilt and your self control of not buying new fabric. :)

    Glad you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I have one of her books...wonder if I have the one with this pattern in it. Love this quilt that you made, it's a beauty. You made it look so easy, but I know better, lol!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  22. a beautiful scrappy quilt! I love those nickel quilt books too. Can't say i've made many quilts out them...maybe one. But they are very inspiring! What a pretty sheet on the back!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops