Weekly Finish #22 David’s Plaid Dorm Quilt

DSC01512

In addition to “collecting” fabric, I also collect quilting magazines.  When I first started quilting, I think I bought every magazine that was published … and saved each & every one of them!  Over the years, I accumulated tons of magazines.  When I started to run out of storage space, I knew I had to purge my “collection”. 

DSC01513

I have finally narrowed my collection down to those magazines I enjoy the most:  BHG American Patchwork & Quilting; Fons & Porter Love of Quilting; McCall’s Quick Quilts; and Quiltmaker.  And I only keep five years’ worth, so, for now, my magazines go back to 2005.

I love going through my old magazines.  Every once in awhile, I’ll pull out a few magazines just to flip through them.  It’s like going through a new magazine!  That’s how I stumbled upon this plaid dorm quilt from a Fons & Porter magazine. 

scan0086  Plaid Dorm Quilt from Fons & Porter

I’d been wanting to make a quilt for DS#1 for quite some time.  I had a collection of plaids and homespun fabric that I thought he might like, but I couldn’t decide on a pattern that I thought would be to his liking. 
 DSC01514


I thought this dorm quilt would be perfect since he is now living in a dorm after recently transferring to Cal Berkeley.  I hope this quilt will bring him some warmth and comfort during the cool fall & winter seasons while he’s away from home.

DSC01515

I started this quilt a few weeks ago and finally finished it this week.  The quilt has 168 five-inch finished squares and has a 12 x 14 setting.  It has a soft flannel backing and measures 58” x 66”.  I used Warm & Natural batting and quilted it myself with a simple line design.

I’m very happy with how it turned out … and for some assurance that DS#1 would like it, my DH said he would love it!


I am linking up to the following.  Please be sure to visit for more great finishes:


 
 

Comments

  1. Wonderful! It looks so warm and cozy, yet still masculine. I have no doubt your son will love it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped by to visit from Suzanne's blog The Colorado Lady. What a wonderful quilt for your son. Great colors and a gift that he will enjoy for many years! Great job!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would make a wonderful quilt for a man in anyone's life. It looks cozy and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it...looks so homey, cozy and warm...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I'm a sucker for plaid in quilts. Even though it might be kind of masculine, I wouldn't mind one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on a one-of-a-kind dorm spread! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He will love this cozy & masculine quilt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl after my own heart. I have all my quilting magazines too, and I'm not usually a hoarder like that. I love flipping through them.

    That's a great, masculine quilt. I like the quilting pattern on it too. Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to snuggle up in one of your quilts! Thanks for your comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great quilt!!! Your quilting design is very nice on this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi from a fellow magazine hoarder. I just hate throwing them out. I kept burda pattern mags for years but gave dressmakng a break and dumped all the burdas. Now I wish I still had them.Good job on the quilt Rita, truely manly.Thanks for linking to lush friday.You never disappoint. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great quilt for a guy! Both fabric choice and pattern are really suited to dorm life without looking too fussy or girly. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am pretty sure your son will love this cozy and wonderful quilt. The pattern is perfect for the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rita - This is a perfect quilt for a guy any age. I love it! I love the masculine look to it. Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the simplicity of this quilt. I might have to hunt up some plaids to make one!

    btw, found you through Blog Frog. Great quilts you have here!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops