Design Wall Monday: Single Wedding Ring

 

A couple months ago, I received an email from a very dear friend announcing her recent wedding.  Due to COVID, she had a very intimate ceremony at home with only her nuclear family.  Of course, I was surprised because I had no clue but I was also very happy for her.  

You see, forty years ago she became a widow with two school-age children. She deeply mourned the loss of her husband and refused to date for many years ... until she met the man who recently became her husband.  They dated off and on for many years, and they are now both in their 70s with grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  I wish them many happy years together.

To celebrate and show some love, I decided to gift them a quilt, and I knew I wanted to make a wedding ring quilt. I thought about a Double Wedding Ring but knew it would take me forever.  Instead, I opted for a Single Wedding Ring design, also known as the English Wedding Ring and Crown of Thorns.


I found this free pattern from the Fat Quarter Shop and I also viewed this video from Missouri Star Quilt Co.  In the video, Jenny uses the Magic 8 method to make the HSTs.  I know I'm late to the game as this is my first time using this method and I love it.  

So far I've only made the 4 blocks and haven't decided on a layout.  These are a few of the layouts I'm considering.  I really like the look of the on-point design as it just seems more attractive.



I made these two quilts in 2005 using another version of the Single Wedding Quilt block.  I really like this on-point design and may use it for this quilt.


If you'd like to see more quilting goodness and see what others are up to, please visit the following which I'm linking up to:  

Design Wall Monday @ Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Making @ Love Laugh Quilt
Oh! Scrap @ Quilting Is More Fun...

Until next time ... 
Be happy and keep on quilting!

Comments

  1. What a wonderful gift for her next love chapter in her life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The English Wedding Ring is a perfect classic design. I look forward to seeing it develope. Its on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are making the same pattern this week! I love this block, and yours are so pretty. I want to make one like yours. Thanks for showing us your blocks on Design Wall Mondays. Hugs, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful start to a beautiful quilt - and what a great story. I will look forward to stopping back and watching the quilt take shape. I love the colors you've chosen. They're very pretty. I like the on point setting with the border, but they are all very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops