WIP Wednesday: My Oldest WIP - The Final Y2K Quilt

 
This is the beginning of my 4th and final Y2K quilt - my oldest work in progress.  I call it a WIP since the charms are already cut but it's just been sitting around for 20 years waiting to be completed.  This set of 3-inch charms was swapped in 2001, and I suppose after 20 years, it's about time I get this quilt done!

Since this is my last one, I want to do something more than just sew squares into rows.  A couple of designs are stored with the fabric, but I found a few more ideas online, including the quilt pictured below.


I really like this design, so much more interesting than just squares in a row.  But I especially like it because the signature square is included in the block.  

With my previous Y2K quilts, I received 80 sets of 25 charms plus a signature square; these are called squishies.  But this final set is different as I received 25 sets with 80 charms plus the signature square.  From each set, I can make 2 blocks but have only one signature square for the center.  So I have added my own charms, each one different, for the center of the second block.  


So far I have made only four blocks.  Each block uses 16 HSTs and 8 squares plus the signature square and measures 13" unfinished.

When making the HSTs, I stitch from corner to corner then stitch again about 1/2" from my first stitched line.  This way I end up with 2 HSTs and use the larger HST for my block.  I also end up with a pile of 2.5" HSTs that I'm putting aside for now.

Aside from the charm squares, each squishy had a short bio from the sender.  I truly enjoy reading each one.

From Gerri K. in Virginia: "...My grandmother was a seamstress and used to make quilts from the scraps she had.  My favorite quilt that she made was a Grandmother's Fan made in satins and velvets...I have loved quilts for years...I waited until I was grown and married for 25 years before taking it up...I love material and have quite a stash. I really didn't realize how much I had until I decided that one room was too small for my sewing stuff and started moving it to another room..."

From Laurie S. in Indiana: "I got into quilting about 10 years ago when I ordered Judy Martin's book of quilt blocks from a book club...I plunged in and in spite of points that didn't quite match and seams that weren't quite straight I finished my first two quilts which I gave to my grandmother and my mother...each year I make most if not all of my Christmas gifts...I knew my family was spoiled the year my niece who was about 2-1/2 at the time asked for a "tilk" for Christmas...She showed me a quilt...Since then she's...been the recipient of several quilts."

Gerri and Laurie, you are kindred spirits and I hope you are still happily quilting!

If you'd like to see more quilting goodness and see what others are up to, please visit the following which I'm linking up to:  

Midweek Makers @ Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss @ The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show @ Life in the Scrapatch

Until next time ... 
Be happy and keep on quilting!

Comments

  1. LOL on the "tilk"! I love reading other quilters' beginnings. It's fun that Gerri called her fabric "material" - that is the word I used from my childhood until "fabric" became the word. How neat that you are working on something from 2000. I LOVE your blocks! What a great pattern for scrappy charms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely memory! This will make a special quilt indeed. Thanks for sharing your progress on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! I've been doing that same thing with my larger HST's - stitching the leftovers together. But now I'll have a bunch uncoordinated HST's to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This should end up a beautiful quilt. Fabric, like fine wine, becomes better with age. (I guess...although I have to say there are a whole lot of older fabrics that I no longer like!) I'm off to cut some more fabric! Happy quilting this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have sworn I made a comment on this post, but anyway, these are beautiful and I love reading the notes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops