WIP Wednesday: Y2K Blocks #29-#32 and A New Quilting Machine

Four more blocks completed for my Y2K quilt.  I thought I'd be able to complete more than 4 blocks a week as they really don't take that long but before I know it another week has gone by.  I'm also working on my Unity quilt but I may put it aside so I can get finish my Y2K blocks.  The end of the year is just around the corner!

The charms in the top 2 blocks are from Margaret M.S. in Wisconsin: ...I made my first quilt in the late 1960s and off and on as the need arose...I retired from work in the fall of 1996 and now devote all my free time to quilting.  I have a 22' x 24' sewing studio which is home to my longarm quilting machine...I was bitten very hard by the Y2K quilt bug and have swapped enough packets of charms to make 18 Y2K quilts [WOW!]...I completed six of these quilts for our six children...[and] have swapped enough...charms to make Y2K quilts for the grandchildren for Christmas 2000.

The bottom 2 blocks are from Jodie T. in Michigan: ...I started quilting 6 years ago.  Pretty much self-taught.  My first quilts were log cabins.  One each for my 2 girls and one for myself.  All three were tied...I am currently working on a wedding quilt for my husband's best friend.  And new quilts for my children...

 And now for some exciting news:  My Handi Quilter Moxie is finally here!  I ordered it 3 weeks ago from a local sewing machine center and it arrived a few days ago.  



We went to the store to pick it up, and it wasn't until we brought it home that we realized there was a missing box.  Thankfully the store found it and we picked it up yesterday.  DH will set it up this weekend and I can't wait to play with it. 


This is a 2005 picture of my Mega Quilter and Inspira frame when I first got it.  It's what I've been using for the past 16 years.  I originally set it up with the 4-foot frame but quickly realized I needed the 10-foot frame.


This was my setup until 2015 when I disassembled the frame and put it in storage along with the Mega Quilter.   After a few years, in 2019, I took it out of storage and set it up in the under-utilized formal dining room, where it remains today.

This Mega Quilter has served me well but it is not a true longarm.  With a 9" harp, it's not even a midarm.  It's really a domestic sewing machine that stitches a straight stitch really, really fast. I've mainly done free motion quilting and it is only in the past couple of years that I started using the pantographs for edge-to-edge quilting.

The Husqvarna Mega Quilter has served me well and it still works great but after 16 years I thought it was time for an upgrade.  I've been looking - or rather dreaming - for a few years about getting a longarm but the price was way out of my budget.  Then a couple months ago, I discovered the Handi Quilter Moxie while surfing the web.  And I just couldn't believe it when I saw the price, which also included the frame.  I also learned that it has been on the market for about a year and has great reviews.

A little over a month ago, I went to a "sewing/craft festival" and saw the Moxie in person.  The store rep was very helpful and informative, and I was able to test drive it.  By the end of the day, I knew I was going to get a Moxie.  A week later I went to the store and it just happened that they were having a class on a different Handi Quilter machine given by Handi Quilter staff.  I was able to try the Moxie again and ask more questions.  So, yep, before I left the store I had ordered my very own Moxie quilting machine.  

I will post an update next week and show you my new "quilting studio".  I can't wait!


If you'd like to see more quilting goodness and see what others are up to, please visit the following which I'm linking up to:  

Stitch Sew & Show @ Life in the Scrapatch
Wednesday Wait Loss @ The Inquiring Quilter
Midweek Makers @ QuiltFabrication
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation

Until next time ... 
Be happy and keep on quilting!


Comments

  1. Congratulations on your new long-arm! You have accomplished much in the last 6 years and with your new machine you will accomplish sew much more. My machine is a Hand Quilter Amara and I love it. Enjoy your new quilting adventures. Thank you for sharing your quilting journey with me ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be so happy with your new Moxie I'm sure! The store I work at is a Handi Quilter dealer and I've been eyeing the Moxie too. Thanks for sharing your Y2K blocks on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops