Throwback Thursday and a Year-End Finish: Y2K Millennium Charm Quilt

 

Over 20 years in the making, this Y2K Millennium Charm Quilt is finally finished! I should have finished it last year for the 20-year anniversary but I was still on a quilting hiatus.


I know there are many of you who still remember swapping all those "squishies" full of charm squares.  I couldn't wait for the mail to open my package of fabric squares.

Y2K Millennium Charm Flimsy Top - July 2010

I completed this top 10 years ago (see above picture), and this year I got the itch to finish it before the next decade was over.  I completed the quilt yesterday, and with today being the last day of 2020, I made it by the skin of my teeth LOL.  For me, this quilt celebrates the end of the 2nd millennium: 2,000 years.


I was new to quilting in 1999 and had so much fun swapping charms that I received enough charms to make 3 quilts! This quilt is the third one I have completed.  Yes, I still have one more set of 80 squishies to make my last Y2K quilt which I plan to complete in 2021, celebrating the year 2001 and the beginning of a new millennium.

To read more about this top and my 2004 Y2K quilt, click here and here. There's also more info about the great Y2K swap.


I had fun seeing the different prints and reading the signature squares as I quilted and sewed the binding.


Some swappers got very creative and put some effort into their signature squares.


Charms came from all over the US and other parts of the world.  In addition to the charm squares, swappers included a short summary about themselves.  It was really great and I feel fortunate to have been a part of the great Y2K Swap.



The backing is pieced with a cotton blend queen-size sheet.  It wasn't large enough so I had to use cotton yardage for the piecing.  The sheet is so soft and pretty, and I wish I had placed the pieced yardage on the bottom instead of the middle.  


And, I used a small blue floral calico print for the binding.


I used a Warm and Natural batting and quilted it with a simple scroll edge-to-edge pantograph.

The quilt measures 86" x 105" and fits perfectly on my queen size bed.  We'll be sleeping under it as we welcome the new year.


If you'd like to see more quilting goodness and see what others are up to, please visit the following which I'm linking up to:


I hope everyone had a safe and peaceful Christmas.  We had a very quiet Christmas Eve and Day and missed celebrating the holidays with our close friends and family.  But we are blessed that we and our loved ones are healthy and doing well.  I pray for all the souls we have lost due to COVID-19 and those who are sick and hospitalized.  I pray for our frontline and essential workers that they stay safe, including my two adult children who are working in healthcare facilities, one in Kentucky and the other in California where the pandemic is especially bad.



And as 2020 ends, I look forward to 2021 with hope for a brighter future, for ourselves, for our nation, and for our world.

Until next time ... be happy and stay safe!


Comments

  1. What a great finish! Who cares how long it took? It's a beautiful memory. Those signature squares are a treasure! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops