Design Wall Monday: Y2K Blocks

 

Last week, I posted about my oldest work-in-progress project: my final Y2K quilt.  And, this past weekend I was able to finish four blocks from two more squishies.  

From Barbara Y. in Pennsylvania: ...I was born in...a small coal-mining town and both my father and my grandfather worked in the coal mines...My hubby and I were foster parents to 47 children over a period of 14 years...I learned to quilt from books and thank goodness for TV and computers...My first quilt consisted of 2 flat sheets and batting.  I drew my design on the sheet and just hand quilted along the lines...Recently I discovered Foundation paper piecing and a new world opened.  We never stop learning.

From Shellie G. in Oregon: ...I have lived in Oregon, Washington, California, Kentucky, and Germany...My husband and I...adopted our daughter Emma almost two years ago from China...We hope to travel to Vietnam...to adopt a sister for Emma...I am in the process of starting an online business making children's clothing...I started quilting about 9 years ago with my first class on piece quilting...I think I have made around 20 quilts and wall hangings...I am looking forward to meeting new friends through this year of swapping.

I love reading these snippets of life from each quilter.  I wonder what they are now doing 20 years later.  And, each one is so different and interesting, but the one thing we all have in common is quilting.  I look forward to reading the next 21.

I really want to finish this quilt by the end of the year, and I figure if I can work on 3 squishies a week I should be able to finish the top by Thanksgiving and hopefully get the quilt completed by New Year's Eve.  Oh my goodness, I can't believe the holidays are just around the corner.  Time flies when you're having fun!


If you'd like to see more quilting goodness and see what others are up to, please visit the following which I'm linking up to:  

Monday Making @ Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday @ Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Oh Scrap! @ Quilting is More Fun Than Housework

Until next time ... 
Be happy and keep on quilting!

Comments

  1. More beautiful blocks and I'm enjoying the snippets too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rita,
    What a great quilt to complete with your signature squares. So interesting. As I was looking at it, I realized it would be great to use up my box of hsts. Hmmmmm. Thanks for the good idea, and thanks for joining the Design Wall Mondays linky party. Hugs, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be a lovely quilt. I love that the ladies wrote a little blurb about themselves. Yes, I too wonder about them, twenty years later. Such a fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The salami method works well for me and I think you are actually doing the same with this project. Think in terms of smaller units (ie a slice of the salami rather than the whole thing!) You might know how many "squishes. you have left. Break down how many blocks need to be made each day and how long you expect to take to sew together. Once you have those numbers you can figure out when you might be done with the top. Build in a little "oops" time (ie you must go grocery shopping and vacuuming time). I find if I publicly admit what my goal is each week I am highly motivated to check off the goal. It might work for you too. Hope you have great success on getting this project done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops