WIP Wednesday: Y2K Blocks #17-#20 … and a New Look

Another set of four Y2K blocks completed!

Neither swapper included a biography but the top two blocks are from Lisa B-B. in Maryland and the bottom two are from Margaret S. in Wisconsin.

Thank you for your visits and comments on my previous post re: my Y2K blocks.  There were a couple of questions that I replied to in the comments but I'd like to also answer them in this post.

First, I don't know the name of this block, although I call it my Y2K block.  I was inspired by a photo of a quilt I found online and I was able to copy the block from the picture.  I would like to know the name of this block as I'm sure it must have one.  I found the Roundabout block online which is similar, but I'm going to do more research to try to find the exact one.

I explained a little bit on how I make each block in this post but basically, I place a "darker" and a "lighter" charm together then stitch diagonally from corner to corner.  I then cut 1/4" from the sewn line to make the HST.  The block has 16 of these HSTs.  It also uses 4 "light" and 4 "dark" charms.  You can see the placement of each unit in the picture.

Contrast is so important in this block.  It's what makes the design.  Since each squishy is a smorgasbord of charms, I don't always get enough "lights" so I have to use mediums as "lights" and even use the backside of some charms.

As for the quality of the charms, this last set of 25 squishies has not been too bad, although I did find a few cotton-blend and low-quality charms; and a few charms were cut a little off.  Thankfully, I did not receive any double-knits in any of the 4 swaps I participated in.


In other news, my blog has a new look!  I believe it gives my blog a cleaner and updated look.  The layout is very different and it's taking me a bit to get used to it.  Hopefully, it's easier to read and navigate.  So far, I think I like it and I hope you do too!

If you'd like to see more quilting goodness and see what others are up to, please visit the following which I'm linking up to:  

Midweek Makers @ Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss @ The Inquiring Quilter
Stitch Sew & Show @ Life in the Scrapatch

Until next time ... 
Be happy and keep on quilting!

Comments

  1. I like your new look, very nice! I really love those blocks. I remember that post you linked to, and now that I've seen them twice, I want to make some for myself! Squirrel get thee away from me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great when a blogger freshens their look! Love your Y2K blocks and I'm curious about the name as well. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops