Weekly Finish #39-#40 and the End of a Decade

A year ago, just before Thanksgiving, my DGD#1 moved to California from Tennessee. I had not seen her in over three years so it was a joy to have her and DGD#2 (her sister) with us, especially since my youngest DGD#3 had moved out-of-state with her family.  



But sadly, nothing lasts forever.  In June my middle DGD#2 moved out-of-state to be with her family, and now my oldest DGD#1 is moving back east, where she found a great job opportunity and living expenses are much more affordable.  She and her roommate/friend are driving there next month and will be getting their own place.  They are very excited to start their new adventure.

Ombre HST Quilt Pattern - free online pattern from Sarah Goer Quilts

Of course, I told them I would make each a quilt to take to their new home.  This was in October; and since they weren't leaving until mid-January, I thought I had plenty of time to finish both quilts before they left.

This free pattern is 4-Patch Slice by Inspiring Creations.

My DGD#1 picked the pattern and colors for her quilt.  Her friend also picked her colors but the quilt pattern was selected by DGD#1 and was a surprise. Once I had this information, I started purchasing the fabrics.

Before I knew it, the Thanksgiving holiday was upon us, and DH and I were leaving for the Philipines the following Saturday.  Somehow, I managed to pack for the trip and sew the 4-Patch quilt top by the holiday.  We were on vacation for almost two weeks; and when we returned just before Christmas, DGD#1 told me they were now planning to leave right after New Year's Day.  


Oh no! I still had one more top to sew; then I'd have two tops to quilt and bind.  Somehow I managed to get it all done by Christmas day.  We spent the holiday at my sister's home and I was able to gift the two quilts.  Both DGD#1 and her friend were completely surprised as they didn't think the quilts would be done before they left.



The smiles on their face and the hugs I received were priceless.  It was all well worth the time and effort to get these done for Christmas.  Two more quilts for the finish!



In the blink of an eye, another ten years have come and gone.  I've now been retired 11 years and the years have FLOWN by.  I remember how the months, weeks and days before I retired seem to drag forever.  I also remember thinking about all the quilting I was going to get done when I retired.  Boy, how wrong I was!  I found that there were so many other things that needed my attention.  Even so, I still managed to finish 50 quilting projects in the past 10 years:  37 projects were done in 2010 (12 are finished flimsy tops), 9 were done in 2015, and the last 4 were completed this year.

I hope the next 10 years will be more productive, as I have a whole lot of quilting projects to get to.  Just look at my sidebar!



Remember, the best things in life are quilted!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops