WIP Work In Progress: No Point Halloween Stars


When I saw this Halloween quilt by Lauri Springer on IG, I knew I had to make one.  The pattern is No Point Stars and is available for free from Cluck Cluck Sew.  The blocks in the pattern finish at 11"; however, the blocks in Lauri's quilt finish at 8".


Following Lauri's measurements, I cut my squares at 2.5" and 3.5" instead of the 3" and 4" in the pattern.  But my unfinished blocks were too big at 9.5" and I thought there was too much background around the stars.  So I squared and trimmed them down to 8.5".  You can see the difference in the top picture.


Here is my display wall with all 36 blocks completed so far.  I want to add another row so I need to make 6 more.  I'll sew the blocks together but will wait until next month to quilt it.  I'm anxious to get started on a fall quilt!

Here is my little bin with all the squares cut out.  I was tempted to wait for my Go! Cutter to cut these but didn't want to wait to get started on this quilt.


So I turned to one of my favorite tools for cutting, the Shape Cut by June Tailor.  I love it and use it all the time.  But sadly, after doing all that cutting and trimming, I had this awful pain in my hands and shoulder.  I hope the Go! Cutter is the godsend I'm thinking it is.

Linking up to:
Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

So until next time ... 
Be happy and keep on quilting!

Comments

  1. I have a cutting tool like that and cannot get it to work. The blade doesn't go through the fabric and I end up having to use scissors or a straight ruler and rotary cutter. Your Halloween stars are so cute and are going to make a darling quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ramona, I love this shape cutter and have had it for a few years. I use it a lot and the problem I have now is that there are nicks along a couple of slots. Maybe it's time for a new one. Sometimes I have the same problem as you but it's usually because I have an old blade. Other than that I've had no problems. Thank you for your visit and kind comment. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Rita, that is a great fall quilt. I agree that it looks better with less background fabric. It's going to look fabulous. I hope that the Go cutter will help with all of your cutting. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andree, I'm happy with the way the quilt came out. I probably won't finish it until next month as I've got a couple of other quilts to finish. The Go Cutter finally came and it's been a disappointment. I just posted an update. Thanks for your visit and kind comment. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Your Halloween stars look fabulous and I'm so impressed with how organized you are, stacking them neatly in a bin. Right now MY studio is getting to the point of paralysis due to too many things taken out and abandoned midway, running out of room to work! I'm so sorry that your GO! cutter isn't living up to your hopes. Now I have to go looking for that post to see why not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, you are too kind. The squares are in a bin for picture-taking but I tend to keep organized when sewing. Clutter gives me anxiety and I can't function in a messy room but an organized mess is ok LOL. Thanks for your visit and comment.

      Delete
  4. Such a nice fall quilt. I agree with your size of block decision. Sorry your new cutter didn’t cooperate at first, but sounds like you have it working well now. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays, I appreciate you. Judy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops