Weekly Finish #12: Y2K Wedding Rings Quilt
Woo hoo! I'm doing a happy dance because I finally finished my Y2K quilt that I started back in September.
I used 3" squares that I swapped in 2000 to make the 50 Wedding Rings blocks. I am so glad I did not have to cut out those 2,000 squares which was a big time saver.
I really enjoyed looking at the different fabric choices from 20 years ago and reading the short biographies that were included with the signature squares. I received charms from quilters in Virginia, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Oregon, California, Maine, Maryland, Wisconsin, New York, Texas, Michigan, Alabama, Florida, Minnesota, Kentucky, and Illinois. I also received a few from international swappers in Canada, Hong Kong, and Cuba.
I pieced the backing with fabric that is printed with the year 2000 and Y2K that I've had for as long as I've had these squares. I finally can put it to good use!
This is the first quilt I quilted using my Moxie longarm. I don't have the ability to use pantographs so I did a simple edge-to-edge freehand scroll. I love it but definitely need more practice! I used Warm & Natural batting which is my favorite. And because I wanted to use up all the Y2K 2000 fabric, I used the leftover strips for the scrappy binding.
The quilt measures 86" x 86" which barely fit on my 8 ft. Moxie frame.
I took these pictures as soon as I finished the binding and before washing it. I was just a little worried to wash it because of the older red squares and the red backing fabric. So I put two color catchers in the wash and held my breath.
Here is the "after" picture. You can see the color catchers are a nice pink (yikes), but glad the only part of my quilt that also turned pink is the label. You can see in the picture that the white remained white and all is well! The quilt is now clean and crinkly, so soft and cozy and cuddly for this colder December weather.
If you'd like to see more quilting goodness and see what others are up to, please visit the following which I'm linking up to:
- Monday Making @ Love Laugh Quilt
- Midweek Makers @ Quilt Fabrication
- Wednesday Wait Loss @ The Inquiring Quilter
- Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuations
- Put Your Foot Down @ For The Love of Geese
- Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
- Finished Or Not Finished Friday @ Alycia Quilts
- Friday Foto Fun @ Powered by Quilting
- Peacock Party @ Wendy's Quilts and More
- TGIFF Friday Finish @ Rebecca Grace Quilting
- Brag About Your Beauties @ From Bolt to Beauty
- Off The Wall Friday @ Creations by Nina-Marie
- Patchwork & Quilts @ Quilting Patchwork Applique
Until next time ...
Be happy and keep on quilting!