Weekly Finish #15: Vintage Churn Dash

Vintage Churn Dash

Finished Size:  79" x 94"

I finished the top for this quilt in May and posted about it here.  This is a recreation of an old vintage top I found in the wild.

This is the original top, and the big hole with burned edges can be seen in the picture.  Originally, I thought I'd take it apart and salvage what I could but instead decided to recreate it.

There are 30 Churn Dash blocks, and each block is 12" finished.  The yellow sashing and borders are 3" finished.

I found some red calico fabric in my stash that I thought was perfect.

And, in an effort to keep with the original quilter's design, I used a mix of solid and printed fabric for the backgrounds.



I used the Springtime Waltz E2E quilting design from My Creative Stitches.  I love the little bird and butterfly.  So springy!


The backing is pieced from a cotton-blend sheet and fabric from my stash.  The batting is Warm & White.  I usually use the natural batting, but I bought a 40-yard roll of the white because it was on sale at Joann's. Works for me!

I'm keeping this one for now, but it may be a donation quilt if the need arises.

I'm happy to join these linky parties.  Be sure to visit them to see what other quilters are sharing.
  • Patchwork & Quilts @ Quilting Patchwork Applique
  • Oh Scrap @ Quilting is More Fun Than Housework
  • Sew & Tell @ Melva Loves Scraps
  • Design Wall Monday @ Small Quilts & Doll Quilts
  • Midweek Makers @ Quilt Fabrication
  • Wednesday Wait Loss @ The Inquiring Quilter
  • Needle & Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation


Until next time ... 
Be happy and keep on quilting!

Comments

  1. What a lovely idea to preserve the quilt by remaking it. So pretty! Love the fabrics you chose. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/09/20/wednesday-wait-loss-346

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is PERFECT!!! The colors are so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your churn dash!!! It's one of my favourite quilt patterns and your is wonderful!! Thanks for linking to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops