Weekly Finish #17 Northern Lights Christmas Nickel Quilt

DSC01422

Remember this quilt top which I blogged about here? Well, I finally finished it, and I think I’m lovin’ it!

DSC01418

I made this quilt from a stash of Christmas fabrics that I’ve had for a few years.  I cut up the fabrics into 5-inch squares, found a pattern that I liked, and put it all together into a baggie as a kit. Last year, I pulled out the kit and put the blocks together; but I wasn’t thrilled with the color combo … the background just didn’t seem right so I put it aside to work on other projects.

DSC01419

Well, 2010 being the year to finish those UFOs, I tackled this project and finally finished it!  But, even when I completed the top, I still wasn’t thrilled with it … it just didn’t sing to me.  I struggled with the borders, and then finally decided, the heck with it, I’ll just make it borderless. 

DSC01420

But now that it’s finished?  It sings loud and proud! I quilted it with an allover heart and loopy design (a nice change over meandering), and the backing is an angel fabric that my BFF found at a garage sale and gave to me for my kids’ quilts.  The quilt measures 47 x 60 inches. 

DSC01421

I’m donating it to Project Linus, and I think the angels are perfect … and so is this cute fabric with the puppy in a stocking.

DSC01417
Why so many nickel quilts?  A few years back, I decided I needed to tame my fabric stash and had this “brilliant” idea to make kits.  I went through my extensive stash and collection of quilting books and magazines and started putting fabrics and patterns together.  I then placed these projects into baggies. 

During this time, I also cut up much of my yardage into smaller cuts.  If I had a yard, I cut it into a 1/2 yard and 2 FQs.  If I had 2 yards, I would keep one yard intact.  Sometimes I would cut a 1/2 yard into 5-inch squares, which means I ended up with tons of nickel squares.  And I’m still working my way through these kits!


I am linking this to the following … please be sure to visit these blogs for more Friday Finishes:



Comments

  1. I was loving it right away! I know someone at Project Linus is really going to appreciate this wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun finish and so nice of you to send it to project Linus. I really like the design and the colors are really nice. Way to go with finishing your UFO's. Thanks for sharing!

    xo -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! This is a great one for Project Linus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, another great quilt from the nickel quilt book! I don't know if you remember me saying I have that book. I need to catch up. I love all the quilts in that book. You have the best idea by making kits then getting to them when you have time. That is something I need to do because I cannot keep buying new fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific quilt! Jacob's Ladder is one of my favorite patterns-so versatile!
    Your quilt is so bright and cheery it will be well loved at Project Linus-a perfect Christmas gift for someone!

    I just loved quilts without borders!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your beautiful quilt will be such a treasure! Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing :o)

    www.seamsinspired.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful finish! Your borderless quilt inspires me to forget the border I was mulling over for a Christmas quilt and just bind it as is. Yours turned out terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Those fabrics are really neat. Congrats on finishing a UFO!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops