Weekly Finish #10: Dr. Seuss Quilt 2020

 


I started this quilt back in February and posted about my work in progress here and here.  I actually started it in 2016 when I planned to make it for DGD#3 who at that time was into Dr. Seuss.


I cut out the center squares and made the star blocks, then for whatever reason, I put them away.  I was happy to re-discover them!



I did not use a pattern for this layout but it's a very simple design.  The center squares and star blocks are 6" finished.  The sashing and cornerstones finish at 1.5".  The inner/outer border also finishes at 1.5".  I originally planned to add a 3" outer border but didn't have anything in my stash that would work (and I was not going to the fabric store in the middle of a pandemic).  I think it's just fine without it.


The quilt measures 47" x 56" and I quilted it on my Bernina with stitch-in-the-ditch, straight stitching, and outline stitching.  The batting is pieced from Warm and Natural remnants.


And I say a quilt is not complete until the label is on.  

I recently stumbled across this post at Sew Fresh Quilts about labeling your quilts.  I always label my quilts if I'm gifting them but have never labeled my donation quilts.  Why not?  Maybe because the recipient won't know who I am or that it doesn't make a difference.  But, really, I think it is important to label your quilts and I like these little labels.  I can remain somewhat anonymous but can be found via my blog.  The labels are by ikaprint, and can be purchased on Etsy.

DGD#3 at age 18 is no longer into Dr. Seuss so this cute quilt is going into the pile to be donated to Project Linus.



Linking up with:

Until next time ... be happy and keep on quilting!

Comments

  1. Super cute quilt finish! LOVE your label!! I ordered from there, but mine seem different. Do you recall which ones you ordered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had so many choices and I wanted something simple. I ordered the satin fabric labels with the BOGO sale - buy 100 get 100 free for $32.56. I added the care instructions on the reverse. The 200 will last me a a couple years at least LOL!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it strange how we often put a quilt aside for a while? And then we are so happy to rediscover it again, some time later? I certainly have been guilty of that several times over. Love your Dr Suess quilt, it will be great as a donation quilt for some lucky little person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I just want to sew and have no idea who I will give the quilt to. Donation quilts are always fun to make. Thanks for the visit and comment - much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. This quilt is so cute, it will be loved by whomever gets it Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool quilt! I like those labels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt - so fun with all the Dr Suess prints!! I too love to label my quilts - it just makes me think I will be remembered for yearsto come ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops