Weekly Finish #17: Charming Christmas Quilt 2020

 

Yay! I finally finished my Charming Christmas Quilt, more than a week before December!  I can't believe I was able to finish this quilt in 3 weeks.  I posted about my work-in-progress here, here, and here.


I am really glad I decided to do a pieced border.  It's much more interesting than a plain simple border.


Many of these prints are from 1/2 yards and FQs I bought over the past couple of years, but about half of the fabrics are from a bag of scraps I bought at the thrift store last year.  The scrappy white background and inner border also include cotton sheet scraps.


The original design uses 25 Jacob Ladder blocks but I decided to make my quilt smaller with only 20 blocks.


The pattern instructs you to make the blocks before deciding on a layout, but somehow I missed that part.  Instead of making the blocks individually, I laid out each 4-patch and HST unit in rows and columns and then sewed it together.  It probably would have been easier to follow the instructions.  Oh, well, in the end, it all worked out.


I pieced the backing with Christmas fabrics that have been in my stash for a few years.  I also used leftover 4-patch units from the top.


A mob of nutcrackers


Coca-Cola and Santa Claus

Angry Bird ornaments ... they look a little cuckoo to me

The red-and-white striped fabric I used for the binding was the only one not from my stash.  I did a bias binding so the stripes would be diagonal and sewed it on by machine.


I quilted it with an edge-to-edge pantograph named Picket by Golden Threads.  I decided to use a "round" design that I thought would stand out against the straight lines of the blocks.  It's not a dense design so it was another one that was fast and easy. And, I used lightweight polyester batting.  The quilt measures 56" x 68"

I can't believe this is the one and only Christmas quilt in my collection.  What's up with that?  Ok, well, I do have my Very Coriander Christmas BOM quilt in progress, and hopefully, by next Christmas, I'll have 1 or 2 more for my collection.


If you'd like to see more quilting goodness and see what others are up to, please visit the following which I'm linking up to:

Until next time ... be happy and keep on quilting!

Comments

  1. Congratulations on a lovely finish.....very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Christmas quilt, and fun to know that's it's your only one! Cute backing fabrics, I love the Angry birds, and the nutcrackers. Great quilting design, it looks like ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Christmas quilt. Glad to hear I'm not the only one using sheet scraps :) Stay calm and Quilt On!! ...from London, Ontario Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Christmas quilt is a beauty and finished before December, how wonderful! Enjoy decorating for Christmas, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finish! I love the scrappiness and the border adds the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Christmas quilt! It's a good one to start your Christmas quilt collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The solid white inner border combined with a pieced outer border are a perfect way to frame the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful job, Rita! I've been so smitten by Christmas quilts this year that I'm tempted to make one of my own. Gotta say, though, yours is by far my favorite one! YES to the pieced border pushing it over the top. I also love how you've got some of those blue background Christmas prints in the mix, sprinkled so nicely throughout the quilt, yet it's still reading Red/Green/White Christmassy overall. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great. And, when you go for a more interesting border you surely picked a hard one. Or maybe more time consuming. Love the show of the back fabrics. I have several Christmas quilts that get put on the beds in our house with a few hanging on walls. Helps spread the feeling of Christmas around the whole house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful finish! I love the angry birds ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is so pretty. I love the scrappiness but the limited palette ensures that it is not too random. That pieced border was a lot of work, but oh so beautiful. I am smiling at all the cute fabrics. I am sure that you were having fun, which explains why you finished it in a record time. Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    Your Christmas quilt is beautiful...all that Christmas color....beautiful. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely quilt! This is a great layout; very dynamic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful! How wonderful for you to have your first Christmasy quilt, this year especially, to brighten spirits just a bit;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on a beautiful finish, in time to use for the upcoming Christmas Holiday! Love your backing fabrics almost as much as the charm squares. Definitely a fun quilt to enjoy over the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pieced border was the right choice, this is so pretty. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down last week and I apologize for not sending gratitude's sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful quilt! If I only had one Christmas quilt I'd want it to be this. So pretty. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Fold and Turn Coasters

Weekly Finish #13: Halloween No Point Stars 2020

Weekly Finish...Or Not: Shoo Fly & Vintage Inspired Churn Dash Tops